The Best Back-to-School Supply: A San Antonio Public Library Card!
San Antonio Public Library offers school resources for students of all ages
As the hustle of a new school year begins, theSan Antonio Public Library (SAPL) reminds students and their families of the many free resources available with a library card. Throughout the year, the Library serves as a beacon of knowledge, offering educational resources that support children, teens, and adults in their learning. To help you or your child kick off the schoolyear, SAPL offers access to Homework Help in English and Spanish, practice tests, free public Wi-Fi, FAFSA assistance, and more!
Visit http://mysapl.org/cardsignup or stop by your local library branch today to register for a free San Antonio Public Library card.
SAPL is also now open on Mondays at most locations from 12:00 to 8:00 p.m. With this addition, SAPL locations will be open six days a week. For details on current library services and hours, please visit: http://mysapl.org/currentservices
Here are the top five free educational resources available for all ages from your San Antonio Public Library:
1) Free Indoor & Outdoor Public Wi-Fi
Available at most San Antonio Public Library Locations
You’ll always have the Wi-Fi password at SAPL! Wi-Fi is available at most locations daily with the exception of locations undergoing building improvements or other projects. Indoor Wi-Fi is available during normal service hours and outdoor Wi-Fi is available daily from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
2) Ask a Librarian
Call (210-207-2500) or chat online (ask.mysapl.org)
Librarians are secretly teachers in disguise! They are available to make book recommendations for your next research project or help with account questions. Connect with them by phone at 210-207-2500 or chat with them online at ask.mysapl.org
3) Homework Help
Daily | 11 a.m. – Midnight
Connecting you to Homework Help heroes is what we do! Free online homework help from professional tutors is available in a variety of subjects for students in kindergarten through college. Available 11 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week in English and Spanish.
4) SORA App
No library card? No problem! SAPL has partnered with nearly every school district in the area to offer students unlimited access to age-appropriate materials in our Digital Library even if you don’t have a SAPL card. Thanks to the Sora app by Overdrive, San Antonio students at participating schools can easily browse our extensive library. Head over to soraapp.com to see if your school is participating!
5) FAFSA Assistance
Monday – Thursday, 1 p.m. – 10 p.m.
College preparation just got a little bit easier! Brought to you by Brainfuse, FAFSA tutors are available for live assistance Monday through Thursday, 1:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
For more information on Back-to-School resources provided by SAPL, visit mysapl.org/backtoschool.
Applicants Sought for Community Action Advisory Board
The City of San Antonio is accepting applications from individuals interested in serving on the Community Action Advisory Board (CAAB). The CAAB advises the City’s Department of Human Services (DHS) and San Antonio City Council on needs, concerns, and goals of low-income persons; recommends policies; and advises on the allocation of federal Community Services Block Grant funds. The CAAB also oversees key responsibilities regarding the Head Start Policy Council of the City’s Head Start Program for its benefit and effective governance. DHS also administers the Community Action Program for the city and Bexar County.
“This is an opportunity for residents to get involved & make a difference in the lives of low-income children & families in our community,” stated Minerva Hernandez, Family Support Coordinator with the Department of Human Services.
Applications will be accepted for representative(s) of low-income individuals and families in the following areas:
- Area I – City Council Districts 1 & 2 and Adjacent Bexar County area
- Area II – City Council District 5
- Area III – City Council Districts 3 & 4 and Adjacent Bexar County area
- Area IV – City Council Districts 6 & 7 and Adjacent Bexar County area
- Area V – City Council Districts 8, 9 &10 and Adjacent Bexar County area
Applicants interested volunteering on the CAAB, must be 18 years of age or older and a resident of a selected service area and committed to serving low-income individuals and families living in poverty.
The Board is comprised of 15 members: five elected public officials (four City Council Members and one County Commissioner), five representatives of the community’s low-income residents, and five representatives from private groups and organizations.
Interested residents can apply with the Office of the City Clerk on the City’s website. If you have any questions or need assistance with your application, please contact Nancy Cano, Boards & Commissions Coordinator, at (210) 207-7257 or via email at Nancy.firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline to submit applications is Tuesday, Dec.6, 2022, by 4 p.m. with the Office of the City Clerk.
In the event more than one candidate applies for Low-Income Representative from the same area CAAB Elections for Low Income Representative(s) will be held on Thursday, Dec. 8, 2022, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the following polling locations:
- Area I – West End Park Senior Center – 1226 N.W. 18th St., 78207
- Area II – Normoyle Senior Center – 700 Culberson, 78225
- Area III – Willie Cortez Senior Center – 5512 S.W. Military Drive, 78242
- Area IV – Doris Griffin Senior One-Stop Center – 6157 N.W. Loop 410, Suite 120, 78238
- Area V – Northeast Senior Center – 4135 Thousand Oaks, 78217
Each election site will have paper ballots available with the name of the candidates for each area. For information about the Community Action Advisory Board Contact Liaison: Minerva Hernandez LMSW at 210-207-5917 or email: Minerva.email@example.com.
SeaWorld Christmas Celebration
Texas’ Biggest Christmas Celebration Offers the Largest Light Display in the State and an Exciting New Christmas Nativity Musical Extravaganza
Beginning November 10, SeaWorld San Antonio is trimming the tree and hanging the lights for the return of SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration, the biggest Christmas event in Texas. For 42 days the marine life park will transform into a holiday wonderland featuring millions of sparkling lights, decorations, holiday festivities, and scrumptious holiday treats and eats. Along with returning favorites, the park will premiere the brand-new O Wondrous Night, an exciting, multi-faceted live action musical!
NEW O Wondrous Night Stage Show –The greatest story never told – the story of the Nativity as seen through the eyes of the animals who experienced it – makes its debut this year at SeaWorld San Antonio. This magical experience features amazing puppetry, more than 30 inspirational carols, and dance set against the backdrop of the very first Christmas. This glorious live stage show celebration will charm, entertain, and delight people from all walks of life as they experience the true glory of the season. Singing, special effects, and holiday spirit combine to make O Wondrous Night yet another reason to make SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration, the largest in all of Texas, an annual part of family holiday traditions for years to come.
NEW Christmas Party Zone, Snowman Jam – SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration may be a winter wonderland, but things will heat up at the holiday party zone! Amongst the many holiday areas to visit, guests can catch a special Christmas vibe at Snowman Jam. A DJ spinning the sounds and Festive Flurries fill the air with snowflakes at this club-like section of the park, all centered around the new Frozen Fusion Bar that will serve up specialty cocktails like the Mistletoe Margarita!
Returning Favorites– Guests can renew holiday traditions and encounter 12 uniquely themed holiday areas. Guests will experience the joy of the season while enjoying returning favorites like millions of festive twinkling lights and displays around the entire park, meeting Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, watching the Sesame Street Christmas Parade, or strolling through Christmas Market and visiting Santa himself. Park-goers can also savor the season with chef-created holiday treats served up in cozy holiday settings with visits from Santa, Rudolph, and a cast of memorable holiday characters. Returning holiday festivities include:
- Twelve Yuletide-Themed Areas – A country Christmas can be discovered at Christmas Market, with a unique Christmas tree made entirely of cowboy boots. Park goers can also stroll through Christmas Cove, a 1950s-inspired wonderland, as well as enjoy a whimsical Snowman Village where they can pose with life-sized snowmen. Additionally, guests can make their way through nine more holiday themed areas featuring millions of lights adorning every corner, putting guests in the ultimate holiday mood.
- Holiday Shows and Festive Animal Presentations – World class entertainment awaits those craving the holiday spirit. Enjoy a bit of Fiesta flare with the Merry Mariachis, hear the story of the first Christmas told through song in Peace on Earth, and be inspired by the festive beluga whale and pacific whitesided dolphin presentation, Ocean Discovery: A Splash of Christmas set to the music of The Nutcracker.
- Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Friends – Guests can immerse themselves in the story of Rudolphwhen strolling past life-size story book vignettes featuring the classic tale and can meet beloved characters including Rudolph, Clarice, Yukon Cornelius, and Bumble.
- The Sesame Street Christmas Parade features fantastic, festively decorated floats with show-stopping performances that celebrate the magic of the holiday season! The whole family will experience an energetic Christmas celebration with Sesame Street friends, including Elmo, Big Bird, Cookie Monster, Abby Cadabby, Bert, Ernie, and more. Families are sure to sing, dance, and be merry with their favorite furry friends!
- Coca-Cola presents Fireside S’mores and a Holiday Scavenger Hunt – Families and friends alike can create memories as they cozy up around a toasty fire and experience the tradition of roasting marshmallows for delicious holiday smores. Afterwards, guests have the chance to become Insta-famous and featured on billboards around San Antonio by participating in a jolly photo scavenger hunt. Upon completion guests will receive a Coca-Cola theme festive holiday prize.
- Festive Food and Beverages – Plenty of holiday inspired treats and eats will satisfy cravings with seasonal candies and baked goods, festive funnel cakes, piping hot chocolate and coffee, and winter cocktails including and the NEW Santa-Gria and the Grinch Cocktail with melon liqueur, and rum! Those wanting a traditional holiday meal can join Mrs. Claus in her kitchen for Dinner with Santa as she serves up a Christmas feast and welcomes the big guy to read stories to the kids! Families can also delight in holiday food and fun as they Dine with Rudolph and Friends. (Reservations required for Dinner with Santa and Dine with Rudolph.)
No visit to SeaWorld is complete without spending time with some incredible marine animals. Guests have the opportunity to view, engage with, and learn about everything from orcas, dolphins, belugas, sharks, and puffins; to tropical fish, sea turtles, birds, and more.
Neighborhood Leadership Academy
Applications Now Open for City of San Antonio’s Neighborhood Leadership Academy
The City of San Antonio is now accepting applications for the eighth cohort of the Neighborhood Leadership Academy. The Neighborhood Leadership Academy equips residents with the skills, knowledge and resources to better advocate for their neighborhoods. There is no fee to apply or participate.
“The Neighborhood Leadership Academy brings together neighbors from all parts of San Antonio to learn more about how their local government works. This valuable program also helps our neighbors learn how they can make their voices heard for issues that are important to their own communities,” said Alanna Reed, City of San Antonio Director of Communications and Engagement.
Participants in the program will hear from guest speakers and City staff about pressing local issues and how they can get involved and share feedback. They will also participate in group discussions, networking opportunities and a specially curated behind the scenes tour of City facilities and services. Past participants have included neighborhood association leaders and residents who are interested in leading their own association or community group.
Applications are open to anyone who lives within San Antonio city limits. There is no cost to participate in this program. Program sessions will take place once a month from January 2023 through June 2023. The deadline to apply is November 10, 2022.
For more information or to apply, visit www.saspeakup.com/2022NLA101.
Black, Hispanic Workers Hit Hardest with Fewer Living-Wage Jobs
Applicants Sought for Community Action Advisory Board
Thanksgiving A Day of Mourning
Video Surfaces in Ahmaud Arbery Case
Bushwick Bill, Of Houston Rap Group Geto Boys, Dead At 52
Botswana’s First Skyscraper and Tallest Building
Business4 weeks ago
Cullen/Frost announces election of Joseph A. Pierce
Entertainment4 weeks ago
Senseless Killing Takes Another Black Life
Black Life Texas3 weeks ago
Untold Stories: Defiance of the Vietnam War
Black Life Texas2 weeks ago
Financial Support for Family Caregivers
Business2 weeks ago
Online Tool Helps in Finding Grants and Tax Incentives
Community4 weeks ago
SeaWorld Christmas Celebration
Entertainment4 weeks ago
The 37th Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction
Black Life Texas4 weeks ago
Diabetes: A Public Health Challenge