SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS – The San Antonio Black International Film Festival presents SABIFF 2020, its second annual festival beginning October 1st through the 4th on sabiff.tv, their virtual platform, built by SuperLiveStreams.com. Last year SABIFF presented a 4-day inaugural film festival to San Antonians at prime venues on the Eastside, Downtown, and on the Riverwalk’s La Villita Arneson Theater. This year, due to COVID- 19 restrictions on venues and audience limits, the film festival has elected to go virtual keeping previous venues intact online. Daily schedules and offerings which include: films in competition, screenings, panel discussions, and workshops, that range from donation to fifteen dollars. Schedules can be found at both sabiff.com and sabiff.tv websites, and will be simulcast on multiple social media outlets during the festival run.
“Presenting SABIFF online allows SABIFF the opportunity to attract and present their events to a larger audience base, and we have lots in store,” commented Ada M. Babino, the festival’s Founder and Director. SABIFF 2020’s virtual opening night gala will be co-hosted by the Carver Community Cultural Center, a performing arts jewel on San Antonio’s Eastside. SABIFF proudly commemorates the 30-year anniversary of the classic film To Sleep With Anger starring Danny Glover. Veteran Director, Charles Burnett will be presented with SABIFF’s first annual Ankh (life) Achievement Award. Following the film’s watch party, will be a TSWA reunion with cast members discussion and reflections from this 1990 movie classic. Invited renowned cast members include: Dany Glover, Sheryl Lee Ralph (Moesha and The Mighty Quinn), Mary Alice (Sparkle A Different World), Carl Lumbly (Dr. Sleep, The Chi), and Richard Brooks (Law and Order, Being Mary Jane).
SABIFF 2020 will also include 2-days of independent film showcases submitted by 35 filmmakers international in scope, that explore taboo topics such as: mental health and America’s pathology through carefully curated film blocks entitled Blacklash Blues and American Illusions. On October 2 – 3, the festival also presents topics that we need more of, in these days and times. Themes such as LOVE and SOCIAL JUSTICE are showcased through the blocks Love: Under Construction, and BlackLining (presented in partnership with SA’s Black Lives, and Allies in Community (BLAC). Festival highlights the evening of October 2nd include the screening of A Genius Leaves the Hood, a documentary on businessman/music mogul JZ sponsored by Moguldom Studios, followed by a discussion with producer Jamarlin Martin, CEO and Founder of Nubia Ventures, LLC, and Moguldom.com. Martin will also conduct a workshop aimed to empower filmmakers to take their products to the next level — GAME ON: Indie Films to e-Commerce Remix – The Digital Master P. Model. Saturday morning (10am) delves into the topic of racism with the documentary, and a panel discussion of The American LOWS (Legacy of White Supremacy). Sunday’s conclusion of SABIFF 2020 begins with a discussion with Merawi Gerima, director of Residue, now airing on Netflix. A Film Competition Awards Ceremony follows, in combination with a virtual Sunday brunch streaming live from the SAPL’s Carver Library, another partner and cultural hub on the Eastside. Physical awards will be mailed to winning filmmakers, along with an option for filmmakers to air their films on Black Reflections Roku Channel. See sabiff.com for schedules.
SABIFF partnered with a team of committed volunteers, students, and a number of local community institutions and businesses. 2020 Grant awards were received from the San Antonio Area African American Community Fund (SAAAACF), and the First Unitarian Universalist Church of San Antonio’s Community Responsibility Endowment Fund (FUUC).
The San Antonio Black International Film Festival (SABIFF) serves as a vehicle to support and advocate for quality Black films and filmmakers international in scope, and expose SA Audiences to diverse industry professionals, impactful events, and films created by, for and about people of African Descent throughout the Diaspora. SABIFF was founded by native indie filmmaker Ada M. Babino, and a group of community filmmakers and community movie enthusiasts who began meeting at the Carver Library in the late fall of 2018, with the purpose to create a Black independent film festival in the Alamo City. Birthed from mutual interests, the San Antonio Black International Film Festival was officially and successfully launched at the Carver Library on February 23, 2019, with the start of what will be an annual
endeavor. Fractured Atlas is the fiscal sponsor for SABIFF 2020.
Applicants Sought for Community Action Advisory Board
The City of San Antonio is accepting applications from individuals interested in serving on the Community Action Advisory Board (CAAB). The CAAB advises the City’s Department of Human Services (DHS) and San Antonio City Council on needs, concerns, and goals of low-income persons; recommends policies; and advises on the allocation of federal Community Services Block Grant funds. The CAAB also oversees key responsibilities regarding the Head Start Policy Council of the City’s Head Start Program for its benefit and effective governance. DHS also administers the Community Action Program for the city and Bexar County.
“This is an opportunity for residents to get involved & make a difference in the lives of low-income children & families in our community,” stated Minerva Hernandez, Family Support Coordinator with the Department of Human Services.
Applications will be accepted for representative(s) of low-income individuals and families in the following areas:
- Area I – City Council Districts 1 & 2 and Adjacent Bexar County area
- Area II – City Council District 5
- Area III – City Council Districts 3 & 4 and Adjacent Bexar County area
- Area IV – City Council Districts 6 & 7 and Adjacent Bexar County area
- Area V – City Council Districts 8, 9 &10 and Adjacent Bexar County area
Applicants interested volunteering on the CAAB, must be 18 years of age or older and a resident of a selected service area and committed to serving low-income individuals and families living in poverty.
The Board is comprised of 15 members: five elected public officials (four City Council Members and one County Commissioner), five representatives of the community’s low-income residents, and five representatives from private groups and organizations.
Interested residents can apply with the Office of the City Clerk on the City’s website. If you have any questions or need assistance with your application, please contact Nancy Cano, Boards & Commissions Coordinator, at (210) 207-7257 or via email at Nancy.email@example.com.
The deadline to submit applications is Tuesday, Dec.6, 2022, by 4 p.m. with the Office of the City Clerk.
In the event more than one candidate applies for Low-Income Representative from the same area CAAB Elections for Low Income Representative(s) will be held on Thursday, Dec. 8, 2022, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the following polling locations:
- Area I – West End Park Senior Center – 1226 N.W. 18th St., 78207
- Area II – Normoyle Senior Center – 700 Culberson, 78225
- Area III – Willie Cortez Senior Center – 5512 S.W. Military Drive, 78242
- Area IV – Doris Griffin Senior One-Stop Center – 6157 N.W. Loop 410, Suite 120, 78238
- Area V – Northeast Senior Center – 4135 Thousand Oaks, 78217
Each election site will have paper ballots available with the name of the candidates for each area. For information about the Community Action Advisory Board Contact Liaison: Minerva Hernandez LMSW at 210-207-5917 or email: Minerva.firstname.lastname@example.org.
SeaWorld Christmas Celebration
Texas’ Biggest Christmas Celebration Offers the Largest Light Display in the State and an Exciting New Christmas Nativity Musical Extravaganza
Beginning November 10, SeaWorld San Antonio is trimming the tree and hanging the lights for the return of SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration, the biggest Christmas event in Texas. For 42 days the marine life park will transform into a holiday wonderland featuring millions of sparkling lights, decorations, holiday festivities, and scrumptious holiday treats and eats. Along with returning favorites, the park will premiere the brand-new O Wondrous Night, an exciting, multi-faceted live action musical!
NEW O Wondrous Night Stage Show –The greatest story never told – the story of the Nativity as seen through the eyes of the animals who experienced it – makes its debut this year at SeaWorld San Antonio. This magical experience features amazing puppetry, more than 30 inspirational carols, and dance set against the backdrop of the very first Christmas. This glorious live stage show celebration will charm, entertain, and delight people from all walks of life as they experience the true glory of the season. Singing, special effects, and holiday spirit combine to make O Wondrous Night yet another reason to make SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration, the largest in all of Texas, an annual part of family holiday traditions for years to come.
NEW Christmas Party Zone, Snowman Jam – SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration may be a winter wonderland, but things will heat up at the holiday party zone! Amongst the many holiday areas to visit, guests can catch a special Christmas vibe at Snowman Jam. A DJ spinning the sounds and Festive Flurries fill the air with snowflakes at this club-like section of the park, all centered around the new Frozen Fusion Bar that will serve up specialty cocktails like the Mistletoe Margarita!
Returning Favorites– Guests can renew holiday traditions and encounter 12 uniquely themed holiday areas. Guests will experience the joy of the season while enjoying returning favorites like millions of festive twinkling lights and displays around the entire park, meeting Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, watching the Sesame Street Christmas Parade, or strolling through Christmas Market and visiting Santa himself. Park-goers can also savor the season with chef-created holiday treats served up in cozy holiday settings with visits from Santa, Rudolph, and a cast of memorable holiday characters. Returning holiday festivities include:
- Twelve Yuletide-Themed Areas – A country Christmas can be discovered at Christmas Market, with a unique Christmas tree made entirely of cowboy boots. Park goers can also stroll through Christmas Cove, a 1950s-inspired wonderland, as well as enjoy a whimsical Snowman Village where they can pose with life-sized snowmen. Additionally, guests can make their way through nine more holiday themed areas featuring millions of lights adorning every corner, putting guests in the ultimate holiday mood.
- Holiday Shows and Festive Animal Presentations – World class entertainment awaits those craving the holiday spirit. Enjoy a bit of Fiesta flare with the Merry Mariachis, hear the story of the first Christmas told through song in Peace on Earth, and be inspired by the festive beluga whale and pacific whitesided dolphin presentation, Ocean Discovery: A Splash of Christmas set to the music of The Nutcracker.
- Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Friends – Guests can immerse themselves in the story of Rudolphwhen strolling past life-size story book vignettes featuring the classic tale and can meet beloved characters including Rudolph, Clarice, Yukon Cornelius, and Bumble.
- The Sesame Street Christmas Parade features fantastic, festively decorated floats with show-stopping performances that celebrate the magic of the holiday season! The whole family will experience an energetic Christmas celebration with Sesame Street friends, including Elmo, Big Bird, Cookie Monster, Abby Cadabby, Bert, Ernie, and more. Families are sure to sing, dance, and be merry with their favorite furry friends!
- Coca-Cola presents Fireside S’mores and a Holiday Scavenger Hunt – Families and friends alike can create memories as they cozy up around a toasty fire and experience the tradition of roasting marshmallows for delicious holiday smores. Afterwards, guests have the chance to become Insta-famous and featured on billboards around San Antonio by participating in a jolly photo scavenger hunt. Upon completion guests will receive a Coca-Cola theme festive holiday prize.
- Festive Food and Beverages – Plenty of holiday inspired treats and eats will satisfy cravings with seasonal candies and baked goods, festive funnel cakes, piping hot chocolate and coffee, and winter cocktails including and the NEW Santa-Gria and the Grinch Cocktail with melon liqueur, and rum! Those wanting a traditional holiday meal can join Mrs. Claus in her kitchen for Dinner with Santa as she serves up a Christmas feast and welcomes the big guy to read stories to the kids! Families can also delight in holiday food and fun as they Dine with Rudolph and Friends. (Reservations required for Dinner with Santa and Dine with Rudolph.)
No visit to SeaWorld is complete without spending time with some incredible marine animals. Guests have the opportunity to view, engage with, and learn about everything from orcas, dolphins, belugas, sharks, and puffins; to tropical fish, sea turtles, birds, and more.
Neighborhood Leadership Academy
Applications Now Open for City of San Antonio’s Neighborhood Leadership Academy
The City of San Antonio is now accepting applications for the eighth cohort of the Neighborhood Leadership Academy. The Neighborhood Leadership Academy equips residents with the skills, knowledge and resources to better advocate for their neighborhoods. There is no fee to apply or participate.
“The Neighborhood Leadership Academy brings together neighbors from all parts of San Antonio to learn more about how their local government works. This valuable program also helps our neighbors learn how they can make their voices heard for issues that are important to their own communities,” said Alanna Reed, City of San Antonio Director of Communications and Engagement.
Participants in the program will hear from guest speakers and City staff about pressing local issues and how they can get involved and share feedback. They will also participate in group discussions, networking opportunities and a specially curated behind the scenes tour of City facilities and services. Past participants have included neighborhood association leaders and residents who are interested in leading their own association or community group.
Applications are open to anyone who lives within San Antonio city limits. There is no cost to participate in this program. Program sessions will take place once a month from January 2023 through June 2023. The deadline to apply is November 10, 2022.
For more information or to apply, visit www.saspeakup.com/2022NLA101.
Applicants Sought for Community Action Advisory Board
Thanksgiving A Day of Mourning
Pre-Term Birth Rate Hits 15-Year High
Video Surfaces in Ahmaud Arbery Case
Bushwick Bill, Of Houston Rap Group Geto Boys, Dead At 52
Botswana’s First Skyscraper and Tallest Building
Business4 weeks ago
Cullen/Frost announces election of Joseph A. Pierce
Black Life Texas3 weeks ago
Untold Stories: Defiance of the Vietnam War
Entertainment4 weeks ago
Senseless Killing Takes Another Black Life
Black Life Texas1 week ago
Financial Support for Family Caregivers
Business2 weeks ago
Online Tool Helps in Finding Grants and Tax Incentives
Community3 weeks ago
SeaWorld Christmas Celebration
Entertainment3 weeks ago
The 37th Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction
Black Life Texas4 weeks ago
Diabetes: A Public Health Challenge