On March 21, 2020 at the fabulous Apopka Amphitheatre, actor Christian Keyes will be hosting the Heart & Soul Music Festival, a fundraiser to help children travel to, and experience Africa, with the Kid’s Free Trip to Africa program! Christian Keyes is a long-time actor and is well known for his roles played in Tyler Perry’s Madea Goes to Jail and Diary of a Mad Black Woman. He has also held a recurring role in the television shows Let’s Stay Together, Saints & Sinners, and most recently the well-known soap opera The Young and The Restless.
The Kid’s Free Trip to Africa program was created in collaboration with several non-profits, WMCHN, Inc. and WHPB 98.5 The Wire, which is based in both Florida and Michigan. The Kid’s Free Trip to Africa program took its first group of students to Ghana, Africa in 2017 and have since taken a total of 22 high school students to the continent, free of charge. Through fundraising, the program has been able to pay for the student’s passports, immunizations, airfare, and accommodations. This has indeed been the experience of a lifetime and life changing experience for these young students.
The goal of the Kid’s Free Trip to Africa program is to give students, especially African American students, the opportunity to travel to Africa and obtain valuable knowledge and experience the cultures of their ancestors. In past years, students have been able to meet new friends, experience new food, learn about the history of African slaves, experience life-changing activities, and grow a deeper love and respect for Africa. It is an educational cultural exchange experience that lasts a lifetime.
100% of the proceeds from this fundraiser will be used for the Kid’s Free Trip to Africa Program. The demand has been high for students who are interested in going, in comparison to the funds available to support their trip. The goal of the program is to fund 100% all interested students, the opportunity to experience this trip of a lifetime.
The festival headliner act is Midnight Star, who in the eighties and nineties had hits such as Curious, Wet My Whistle, Slow Jam, and No Parking on the Dance Floor. Also, on the line-up, is the 3 decades hit maker Meli’sa Morgan with hits such as Do Me Baby, Do You Still Love Me?, Back Together Again, and a duet with Kasif called Love Changes. Another female legendary singer in the show is Angela Winbush, who is a songwriter, arranger, and producer, with songs such as Angel, You Don’t Have to Cry, and other top ten R&B hits. The final act is Loose Ends featuring Jane Eugene, who had the hits in the 80’s, Slow Down and Hanging on a String. This will be an amazing show!
The mission of WHPB 98.5 is to serve and educate the urban community about issues that impact their families, their community, and their well-being. The station has been in operation for 3 1/2 years and is a 24-hour full-service station. In September 2019, Orlando Magazine named The Wire 98.5 FM in the “Music Radio Station category of their Best of Orlando 2019 Issue.” General Manager Paul Billings largely credits the station’s community partnerships, supporters and the listeners for the remarkable success which the low-power FM station has enjoyed over the time present.
Paul Billing and The Wire team would like to thank all the sponsors; Florida Lottery, Bud Light, Hope&Help, Mentality Grooming Company, and 30 Something Orlando for their continued support of the station.
General Admission: $35, day of show: $40, Reserved Silver Seating: $40, day of show: $50, fixed seat under canopy, Reserved Gold Seating: $60, day of show: $75, fixed seat under canopy, Reserved VIP Diamond Seating: $80, day of show: $100, under canopy.
African Children’s Choir Visiting Nearby Churches in 2023
International nonprofit organization Music for Life announces the 2023 U.S. African Children’s Choir Tour. The tour will include 50+ stops across the country, sure to melt the hearts of audiences with their performance of popular children’s music, traditional spiritual songs and African cultural pieces.
The 2023 tour is much more than a concert. The African Children’s Choir is composed of African children, aged 10 to 12 years old, all who come from vulnerable backgrounds and have faced hardship and lack of education. However, they represent the potential of the African child to become leaders for a better future.
“The African Children’s Choir proves just how powerful music can be,” says Tina Sipp, Choir Manager for the African Children’s Choir. “These concerts provide hope and encouragement, not just to our audiences, but to the children whose lives are forever changed by their experiences with the Choir.”
The 2023 tour will kick off on Sunday, January 15, 2023, in Wake Forest, North Carolina, and will make stops in 16 different states before concluding on Wednesday, May 10, 2023, in Pinehurst, NC. For a full list of tour stops, visit https://africanchildrenschoir.com/tour-dates/.
SeaWorld Christmas Celebration
Texas’ Biggest Christmas Celebration Offers the Largest Light Display in the State and an Exciting New Christmas Nativity Musical Extravaganza
Beginning November 10, SeaWorld San Antonio is trimming the tree and hanging the lights for the return of SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration, the biggest Christmas event in Texas. For 42 days the marine life park will transform into a holiday wonderland featuring millions of sparkling lights, decorations, holiday festivities, and scrumptious holiday treats and eats. Along with returning favorites, the park will premiere the brand-new O Wondrous Night, an exciting, multi-faceted live action musical!
NEW O Wondrous Night Stage Show –The greatest story never told – the story of the Nativity as seen through the eyes of the animals who experienced it – makes its debut this year at SeaWorld San Antonio. This magical experience features amazing puppetry, more than 30 inspirational carols, and dance set against the backdrop of the very first Christmas. This glorious live stage show celebration will charm, entertain, and delight people from all walks of life as they experience the true glory of the season. Singing, special effects, and holiday spirit combine to make O Wondrous Night yet another reason to make SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration, the largest in all of Texas, an annual part of family holiday traditions for years to come.
NEW Christmas Party Zone, Snowman Jam – SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration may be a winter wonderland, but things will heat up at the holiday party zone! Amongst the many holiday areas to visit, guests can catch a special Christmas vibe at Snowman Jam. A DJ spinning the sounds and Festive Flurries fill the air with snowflakes at this club-like section of the park, all centered around the new Frozen Fusion Bar that will serve up specialty cocktails like the Mistletoe Margarita!
Returning Favorites– Guests can renew holiday traditions and encounter 12 uniquely themed holiday areas. Guests will experience the joy of the season while enjoying returning favorites like millions of festive twinkling lights and displays around the entire park, meeting Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, watching the Sesame Street Christmas Parade, or strolling through Christmas Market and visiting Santa himself. Park-goers can also savor the season with chef-created holiday treats served up in cozy holiday settings with visits from Santa, Rudolph, and a cast of memorable holiday characters. Returning holiday festivities include:
- Twelve Yuletide-Themed Areas – A country Christmas can be discovered at Christmas Market, with a unique Christmas tree made entirely of cowboy boots. Park goers can also stroll through Christmas Cove, a 1950s-inspired wonderland, as well as enjoy a whimsical Snowman Village where they can pose with life-sized snowmen. Additionally, guests can make their way through nine more holiday themed areas featuring millions of lights adorning every corner, putting guests in the ultimate holiday mood.
- Holiday Shows and Festive Animal Presentations – World class entertainment awaits those craving the holiday spirit. Enjoy a bit of Fiesta flare with the Merry Mariachis, hear the story of the first Christmas told through song in Peace on Earth, and be inspired by the festive beluga whale and pacific whitesided dolphin presentation, Ocean Discovery: A Splash of Christmas set to the music of The Nutcracker.
- Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Friends – Guests can immerse themselves in the story of Rudolphwhen strolling past life-size story book vignettes featuring the classic tale and can meet beloved characters including Rudolph, Clarice, Yukon Cornelius, and Bumble.
- The Sesame Street Christmas Parade features fantastic, festively decorated floats with show-stopping performances that celebrate the magic of the holiday season! The whole family will experience an energetic Christmas celebration with Sesame Street friends, including Elmo, Big Bird, Cookie Monster, Abby Cadabby, Bert, Ernie, and more. Families are sure to sing, dance, and be merry with their favorite furry friends!
- Coca-Cola presents Fireside S’mores and a Holiday Scavenger Hunt – Families and friends alike can create memories as they cozy up around a toasty fire and experience the tradition of roasting marshmallows for delicious holiday smores. Afterwards, guests have the chance to become Insta-famous and featured on billboards around San Antonio by participating in a jolly photo scavenger hunt. Upon completion guests will receive a Coca-Cola theme festive holiday prize.
- Festive Food and Beverages – Plenty of holiday inspired treats and eats will satisfy cravings with seasonal candies and baked goods, festive funnel cakes, piping hot chocolate and coffee, and winter cocktails including and the NEW Santa-Gria and the Grinch Cocktail with melon liqueur, and rum! Those wanting a traditional holiday meal can join Mrs. Claus in her kitchen for Dinner with Santa as she serves up a Christmas feast and welcomes the big guy to read stories to the kids! Families can also delight in holiday food and fun as they Dine with Rudolph and Friends. (Reservations required for Dinner with Santa and Dine with Rudolph.)
No visit to SeaWorld is complete without spending time with some incredible marine animals. Guests have the opportunity to view, engage with, and learn about everything from orcas, dolphins, belugas, sharks, and puffins; to tropical fish, sea turtles, birds, and more.
The 37th Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction
Harry Belafonte, Lionel Richie, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis Among 2022 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Inductees
The 37th Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony sponsored by City National Bank will air on Saturday, November 19 at 8:00pm ET on HBO and be available to stream on HBO Max alongside a radio simulcast on SiriusXM’s Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Radio channel 310 and Volume in the SXM App.
This year’s inductees include Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo, Duran Duran, Eminem, Eurythmics, Dolly Parton, Lionel Richie, and Carly Simon; along with Judas Priest and Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis for Musical Excellence; and Harry Belafonte and Elizabeth Cotten for Early Influence; and Allen Grubman, Jimmy Iovine, and Sylvia Robinson for the Ahmet Ertegun Award.
The pre-ceremony red carpet live stream show will return with media personality Bevy Smith set to host the official show. The event begins before the Induction Ceremony and will be live streamed on the Rock Hall’s YouTube channel. A special exhibit dedicated to this year’s inductees opened at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland on November 2nd, and will feature a wide array of artifacts from this year’s class. Highlights include:
- Dolly Parton’s Gibson Blueshawk guitar played on Backwoods Barbie tour
- Carly Simon’s handwritten lyric draft for “You’re So Vain”
- Eminem’s outfit worn during Super Bowl LVI Halftime Show
- Elizabeth Cotten’s Acoustic guitar that she began playing in the 1950s, leading to her career as an influential artist of the American folk music revival
- Pat Benatar’s coat worn in her video for “Invincible”
- Ian Hill’s Fender Jazz Bass guitar played on every Judas Priest album and tour between 1974 and 1984
The 37th Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony is produced by Tenth Planet Productions; executive producers, Joel Gallen, John Sykes and Joel Peresman, co-executive producer, Rick Austin and director Joel Gallen.
For more information on the 37th Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, visit rockhall.com.
Applicants Sought for Community Action Advisory Board
Thanksgiving A Day of Mourning
Pre-Term Birth Rate Hits 15-Year High
Video Surfaces in Ahmaud Arbery Case
Bushwick Bill, Of Houston Rap Group Geto Boys, Dead At 52
Botswana’s First Skyscraper and Tallest Building
Business4 weeks ago
Cullen/Frost announces election of Joseph A. Pierce
Black Life Texas3 weeks ago
Untold Stories: Defiance of the Vietnam War
Entertainment4 weeks ago
Senseless Killing Takes Another Black Life
Black Life Texas1 week ago
Financial Support for Family Caregivers
Business2 weeks ago
Online Tool Helps in Finding Grants and Tax Incentives
Community3 weeks ago
SeaWorld Christmas Celebration
Entertainment3 weeks ago
The 37th Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction
Black Life Texas4 weeks ago
Diabetes: A Public Health Challenge