Connect with us

Crime

Jurors In the Amber Guyger Trial Break Their Silence

Published

on

Advertisements
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Crime

White Couple Identified, Charged With Hate Crime For Vandalizing ‘Black Lives Matter’ Mural

Published

on

Nationwide — A couple from California has been charged with a hate crime after they were caught on video on July 4th defacing a Black Lives Matter mural in the city of Martinez. 42-year old Nicole Anderson and 53-year old David Nelson were seen painting over the word “Black,” which had been painted in yellow, with black paint.

Both of them were wearing red shirts, but David’s shirt had Trump’s name on it with the expression “Four More Years”.

“We’re sick of this narrative, that’s what’s wrong,” David said in the video, according to ABC News. “The narrative of police brutality, the narrative of oppression, the narrative of racism, it’s a lie.”

Some bystanders can be heard in the background of the video telling them to stop, saying that what they’re doing is racist. At one point, Nicole even paused what she was doing and said murals like that should only be done in New York, adding, “This is not happening in my town.”

For about five minutes, David yelled “All lives matter,” to which one of the bystanders responded, “Until Black lives matter, no lives matter.”

The two were gone when the police arrived at the scene. They only found a witness who took a picture of the suspects’ car, which was described as a Nissan pickup truck with the word “NICOLE” painted in silver.

An investigation led to their arrest and the charges.

“The community spent a considerable amount of time putting the mural together only to have it painted over in a hateful and senseless manner,” Chief Manjit Sappal of the Martinez Police Department said in a statement. “The City of Martinez values tolerance and the damage to the mural was divisive and hurtful.”

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Community

SAPD Chief’s Termination of Officer Matthew Luckhurst upheld

Published

on

Officer Matthew Luckhurst (SBG Photo)

On Friday, June 19, 2020, an arbitrator upheld San Antonio Police Chief William McManus’ second termination of former SAPD Officer Matthew Luckhurst. The former police officer was initially fired, or indefinitely suspended, for placing a feces sandwich in a food container and giving it to a homeless man. However, Luckhurst appealed to an arbitrator, and under a provision in the Collective Bargaining Agreement with police union, he was reinstated by claiming that the incident occurred more than 180 days before the suspension was issued.

Luckhurst received a second suspension for a separate incident when he purposely failed to flush feces in the toilet in the Downtown Bike Patrol women’s restroom. On the same occasion, he spread a brown tapioca-like substance on the toilet seat to give the appearance of feces. By his own admission, he took these actions because a female officer had placed a sign in the room requesting that it be kept clean. Hearing Examiner Thomas Cipolla found that Chief McManus’ decision to terminate Luckhurst’s employment was warranted due to the egregious nature of Luckhurst’s conduct aimed at women.

“This individual clearly has no business wearing an SAPD uniform, and it should never have been this hard to fire him,” said City Manager Erik Walsh. “I am pleased that this is behind us, but the contract provision that gave him more chances than he deserved remains an obstacle to the Chief’s ability to discipline officers who fail to live up to SAPD’s standards.” “The vast majority of our officers respect their oaths to serve the community, and they resent it when individuals like Luckhurst discredit the badge,” said Chief McManus. “For both the department and the community, it was critically important that he not be allowed to have his job back. Although the limits imposed on me by the Collective Bargaining Agreement made firing him more difficult than it should have been, justice was finally served in this case.”

San Antonio: America’s 21st Century City
San Antonio is a global city with a dynamic economy and workforce, deep cultural heritage and diverse communities that are resilient and welcoming. It is one of the strongest fiscally managed cities in the country, nurturing entrepreneurship, encouraging investment and funding infrastructure. America’s seventh-largest city offers a vibrant business climate and growth opportunities in bioscience, financial services, aerospace, cyber security, energy, transportation, manufacturing and healthcare. In 2015, UNESCO designated San Antonio’s 18th century Spanish colonial missions as a World Heritage Site – the first in Texas. Proudly called Military City, USAR, San Antonio is home to one of the largest populations of active duty military, veterans and crucial military commands. For more information, visitwww.sanantonio.gov<http://www.sanantonio.gov>.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Crime

Black Men Awarded for Wrongful Conviction

Published

on

Three men from Cleveland, Ohio — 63-year old Rickey Jackson, 65-year old Wiley Bridgeman, and 62-year old Kwame Ajamu — have been awarded a settlement for $18 million nearly 45 years after their wrongful conviction and imprisonment in connection to a robbery and murder case in 1975.

Jackson, Bridgeman, and his brother Ajamu, formerly known as Ronnie Bridgeman, were then aged 18, 20, 17 when they were accused and convicted for the deadly robbery of Harold Franks.

They were convicted based solely on a testimony of a 12-year old boy, which eventually turned out to be false testimony. The boy admitted that he was coerced by Cleveland police to provide wrongful testimony during the trial.

The three men were all exonerated and freed in 2014.

“For 45 years, our clients never gave up hope that someday their nightmare would be over,” said their attorney, Terry Gilbert. “That time has come with this final resolution providing some measure of justice and closure. But the physical and emotional trauma our clients were forced to endure is an example of the deep flaws of a racist criminal legal system focused on results rather than truth and justice.”

The three have reached an $18 million settlement following a lawsuit against the city of Cleveland for police misconduct, falsifying evidence, and coercing a witness. It is reportedly the largest settlement ever made in the history of the state of Ohio.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Hot Topics